About the Project
1.0 Project Summary:
Namuna Foundation (NF) intended to construct Earthquake-Resistant Schools in the most affected areas of Nepal. Massive Earthquake seriously damaged the Schools and houses in the 14 Districts such as Kavre, Sindhupalchok, Dolakha, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Lalitpur, Ramechhap, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, Dhading, Gorkha, Makwanpur, Sindhuli and Okhaldhunga. The organization targets to build Schools as the demand based approach. The teams of Namuna Foundation Via Dhamala Groups have been paid great attention to help the people in need and natural calamities such as floods, landslides, epidemics, fires etc. where maximum losses of life and property. The main purpose the project is to build the damaged Schools and create the educational environment in the remote earthquake affected areas. The different surveys claimed that almost all the buildings need to build earthquake resistant. School buildings play an important role in the communities where not only educational usages, the communities meeting places and emergency shelters during disasters. Thus, it is doubly important that school buildings should be earthquake-resistant.
It is equally important to presents in illustration ways to protect educational buildings from the disastrous effects of an earthquake. The sample model schools will be built at the community level as the example for the construction of earthquake-resistant School buildings. It is obvious that Nepal is very active seismically because it is located in boundary between the Indian and the Tibetan plate, along which is relative shear strain of about 2 centimeters per year has been estimated. The existence of the Himalayan range with the world‟s highest peaks is evidence of the continued tectonics beneath the country.
Namuna Foundation has been dedicated to construct earthquake-resistant buildin via a series of important core decisions such as focus on permanent as opposed to temporary, most affected areas, hard-to-reach areas, areas where there is local support, environment friendly solutions, local resources/solutions etc.
- The main objective of the project is to construct the School Building by using an earthquake-resistant appropriate technology and model having priority of maximum use of the local resources and create the educational environment in the local communities.
- Provide inputs to build the comprehensive earthquake-resistant school buildings.
- Raise awareness of education related key institutions, groups, community people and school management committee on the need for disaster risk reduction in Schools.
- Coordinate with stakeholders for the possible implementation modality including estimated cost, work plan and convince partners for the co-funding.
Almost all Schools have been seriously destroyed but cannot found comprehensive plan to construct the Earthquake-Resistant Building. Schools are running in the open space in the difficult situation.
Despite the high risk of earthquakes, school construction in Nepal has largely ignored issues of structural safety and they are constructed very informally just like common residential buildings. According to NSET over 66 percent of the public schools are likely to collapse if the valley experiences intensity IX shaking in an earthquake. It can be approved by the recent earthquake that more than the estimated percent damaged.
According to the Nepal Government, Department of Education, about 8,000 schools have been affected by the earthquakes with about 32,000 classrooms damaged, which put an estimated 1 million children at risk. Since Dhamala Groups and Namuna Foundation has been in the social service sector for last 2 years, the organization is playing an active role in the education sector in Nepal.
Along with Nepal‟s development partners, the Ministry of Education has now been working to make schools earthquake resistant. But the campaign is too slow and not sufficient as just less than one third of public schools have made their buildings earthquake resistant.
4.0 Major Activities:
Construction of earthquake-resistant School building is the main purpose of the project. At least 10 Schools Building will be constructed in different Districts. The model of the building is attached herewith in Annex-I. The priority will be given to the remote areas where there are urgent of School Buildings. Namuna Foundation is involved in construction of lost/damage infrastructure of the schools, since that is where its expertise lies especially with the ability construct earthquake-resistant building. Guidelines and the criteria of the Nepal government regarding the earthquake-resistant building is the framework of the construction. As the design attached herewith every building consists of 3 or 5 rooms.
- Approaches/strategy to construct the Schools:
- The purposed Schools will be constructed by mandatory approach of Earthquake-Resistant Building.
- The permit of the construction will be taken from the Nepal Government and as well as permission will be taken from the local authorities and School Management Committee.
- Program steering committee and technical advisory committee will be formed to look after the overall works needs to be guided and supervised by the competent and authorized group of the relevant officials and professionals. The Program steering committee will lead the entire process, guide and supervise. Similarly, technical advisory committee has been formed for monitoring and providing inputs to the technical aspects of the vulnerability assessment, new building construction, retrofit design and implementation.